You probably have lists of items to remember, steps to follow, and procedures to enact in order to have the best pet friendly trip possible. There are, however, a few things that are best left at home. Here are a few things to forget when traveling with pets that will make your trip run smoother and more effectively.
1. Time. Traveling with pets will take longer and will have unexpected turns. In reality, forgetting about time also means leaving impatience behind. If you’re in a rush, don’t be. Your pets will require more extra pit stops than you will, and they’ll often surprise you with unpredictable delays. Plan on leaving early and arriving late and you’ll be right on time.
2. Anger/Frustration. Getting angry and/or frustrated at mishaps or delay will only make matters worse. Your feelings can add unnecessary stress to you and your pet’s travel experience. If you feel yourself becoming overwhelmed, stop and take a deep breath. Your pet has little control over his emotions, bowel movements, or motion sickness when traveling. Remember to be kind and understanding at all times, especially when under pressure.
3. Work. This may seem like a no-brainer, but when you are traveling, leave your work attitude behind. Traveling is not a task to be accomplished or a chore to drudge through; it can be an enjoyable and memorable experience for both you and your pet as long as you have the right mindset.
4. Control. Part of the joy of traveling with pets is dealing with the unexpected. You can’t control everything and trying to do so will only end in frustration and anger (see point #2). Knowing that things will happen that are beyond your control will bring great relief to you and your pet. Messes happen; accidents happen. Once you accept that, traveling with your pet will be far easier to manage.
5. Lastly, leave yourself behind. Traveling with a pet often requires an extreme amount of selflessness. Your pet relies on you to take care of their needs, and sometimes you will need to put their needs before you own. Leave your selfish ambition behind when traveling with your pets. They need your attention and care more than anything during the stresses and strains of traveling.
Traveling with pets can and will be a joy if you remember to leave these 5 items behind. It can be difficult at times to handle, but your travel experience will go well for both you and your pet if you can manage to do so.